The Summer Palace — Imperial Garden of Perfect Combination of Natural Landscape and Artificial Buildings
What is the Summer Palace?
The Summer Palace, also named Yihe Yuan in Beijing, was an imperial garden in the middle to late Qing Dynasty (1636 — 1912).
Today, it is a well-preserved masterpiece of the Chinese imperial garden, which combined beautiful natural landscapes, extraordinary building complex, and relics with great cultural values.
Main Building Groups of The Summer Palace
What's the difference between the Old Summer Palace and Summer Palace?
The Old Summer Palace, also named Yuanming Yuan, 3.5 square kilometers large, was built in 1707, as a gift from Kangxi Emperor to his fourth son, who later expanded the garden after he enthroned as the Yongzheng Emperor.
Part of Court Painting "Forty Scenes of the Old Summer Palace" (Yuan Ming Yuan Si Shi Jing Tu Yong), by Artist Tang Dai and Shen Yuan in the Year 1744 — Bibliothèque Nationale de France
The Summer Palace, also named Yihe Yuan, 2.9 square kilometers large, was built in 1750 under the command of Qianlong Emperor, as a gift for his mother's 60's birthday.
In the year 1860, those two fabulous gardens were all robbed and burnt down by the Anglo-French Allied Forces during the Second Opium War.
A few decades later, only the Summer Palace was rebuilt, under the command of the Guangxu Emperor.
Ruins of the Old Summer Palace
History and development of the Summer Palace.
In the year 1750, Qianlong Emperor commanded to build a grand imperial garden as a birthday gift to his mother, which was completed in 1764.
In the year 1860, the Summer Palace, together with other fabulous royal gardens, was burned down and robbed by the Anglo-French Allied Forces.
From 1884 to 1895, the Summer Palace was rebuilt under the command of Guangxu Emperor, as the retirement residence for Empress Dowager Cixi.
Painting of Empress Dowager Cixi, By Hubert Vos in 1905 — Summer Palace
In 1900, the garden was destroyed again by Eight-Nation Alliance, and two years later was renovated by the Qing government.
However, many buildings and decorations were reduced and downsized because of financial issues.
Later, the Qing Dynasty was ended in 1912, and the Summer Palace started to sell tickets to the public in 1914.
Tourists in the Summer Palace
Structural designs based on legends.
The Summer Palace mainly includes a big lake, three islands, a tall hill, and thousands of exquisite buildings.
Great Emperor Wu of Han (156 BC — 87 BC) used to dig a lake named Kunming to train his navy; therefore, Qianlong Emperor named this lake as Kunming as well, wishing to obtain exceptional military achievements.
Therefore, since Qin Shi Huang (259 BC — 210 BC), emperors would build three islands in a big lake in their royal palaces, to imitate the wonderland.
Seventeen Arches Bridge to Nanhu Island, One of the Three Islands on the Kunming Lake.
Since this garden was built for the Qianlong Emperor's mother, he named the main mountain "longevity" as a beautiful wish.
Longevity Hill of the Summer Palace of Beijing
Special scenic views of the Summer Palace
Along Kunming Lake, there is the world's longest corridor. It is a 728-meter long covered promenade with 273 sections and decorated with over 14,000 exquisite paintings, including historic stories, legends, landscape, plants, etc.
Part of the Long Corridor, Chang Lang, of the Summer Palace.
Palaces for royals to work, live, and temples to pray.
Major Building Groups on Longevity Hill of the Summer Palace.
Baoyun Pavilion is the biggest (7.5 meters tall) existing copper-made pavilion in China.
Copper Made Baoyun Ge, the Black Pavilion in the Middle.
Suzhou Market Street
A royal commercial street imitated the southern style of Suzhou City. In the Qing Dynasty, shop assistants were mainly imperial maids and eunuchs.
West Embankment of the Summer Palace.
Jade Belt Bridge
Photos are from the Official Site of the Summer Palace.
You Might Also Like: